MESA does its best to ensure our specifications are as clear as possible. However, there are times during the Engineering Design Process rules need to be clarified. In those instances student participants may submit Specification Clarification Questions. Specification Clarification questions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions should be discussed with MESA teachers prior to submission. Submitted questions should include your name, your school, and the MESA teacher should be copied on the email.
Question: The rules state that there must be a remote trigger. Does this mean no one can stand on the catapult to hold it down when launching?
- Answer: That is correct. For safety purposes, students are not allowed within a meter of the launcher when launching. Students can approach the launcher to reset it and must clear the area before launching the next shot.
Question: Will we be allowed to stake down our catapult at MESA Day?
- Answer: No, per GCU staking is not allowed on their grounds.
Question: Hello, Can we use a bluetooth phone app to control our robot during the competition?
- Answer: Yes, we will allow this.
Question: Has the weight limit for the MESA Attack Vehicle been increased?
- Answer: Yes, the new weight limit is 650 grams.
Question: Can teams create digital models in platforms like Minecraft or Roblox?
- Answer: Yes, digital models in platforms like Minecraft or Roblox is acceptable as long as the design meets all other specifications including scale for height, minimum height, designed to be located in Tucson or Phoenix, etc. Skyscrapers should also be realistic, some of the things that can be done within these platforms cannot be duplicated in the real world. Lastly, students should be prepared with a youtube or other video to demonstrate their model to judges as we cannot guarantee that students will be able to load these platforms on the computers at MESA Day.
Question: Are we allowed to use cardboard? Since paper is made from wood and cardboard is made from wood, isn't cardboard a type of paper?
- Answer: Yes, you can use cardboard as it is a type of paper. This would also apply to other types of paper like construction paper or newsprint.
Question: Will the helicopters be tested indoors or outdoors?
- Answer: They will be tested outdoors.
Question: Can we us paper tape for the helicopter?
- Answer: No, although it is made of paper the adhesive that makes it tape is not allowed. Paper is the one and only material allowed for this challenge.