Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) is a university-based outreach program operating in 8 states. In Arizona, MESA strives to provide an opportunity for ethnic minority, low income, and first generation college-bound students to explore college majors and career interests with a group of peers interested in attending college. The University of Arizona supports MESA schools in Southern Arizona and works in affiliation with Arizona State University’s Fulton Schools of Engineering to support MESA in central Arizona. The southern and central regions form Arizona MESA.
MESA promotes a strong academic foundation in mathematics and science as the key to college admission and success. Hands-on activities and team competitions focused on mathematics, engineering, and science are highlighted in order to increase students’ confidence in these areas. Other elements of MESA are listed below.
Elements of MESA:
- Hands-on math, science, and engineering exploration
- College and career information
- Role models from higher education and the business community
- Special events including competitions, campus visits, and field trips
- Peer group experiences to support college aspirations