MESA Advisors Information & Resources
MESA Sponsors, aka Advisors, are a lynchpin of the MESA program. Advisors are the primary facilitators at the school and our access point to students. The primary responsibilities of the advisors are to:
- Recruit 15 or more students to join MESA
- Hold weekly meetings
- Encourage and support college and STEM exposure
- Facilitate use of Engineering Design Process and Engineering Design Notebooks
- Share best practices with the MESA community
- Register students for competitions
- Incorporate college access monthly during meetings
- Have students fill out Student Information Form (SIF) and return them to MESA office
- Maintain communication with MESA office
If you are interested in starting MESA at your school please contact us at email@example.com.
MESA Advisor Training Institute (MATI) -The conference for MESA advisors from across the state to get together to learn about the competitions, share experiences and best practices, and make connections with peers, MESA staff, and Industry partners.
September 8-9 - Please see our MATI Information and Registration for details
Regional Design Days- Students teams from participating MESA schools are able to test their designs under the guidance of volunteers from our industry and university partners. This event provides students an opportunity to gather critical data about their designs performance and receive feedback from experts.
Feb 10 - Central Region Design Day @ Grand Canyon University
Feb 17 - Southern Region Design Day @ The University of Arizona
School Registration Form will be available in January
MESA Day - The culmination of MESA. Student teams from participating MESA schools test their designs against other schools from across Arizona. Industry and university partners provide judging and expertise. Medals are awarded for the top 3 finishers for each problem in both middle and high school and trophies for the top 3 middle and high schools.
April 21 - MESA Day 2018 @ Grand Canyon University (Tentative)
2017-2018 MESA Administrative Documents
- Memorandum of Understanding (.pdf)
- Advisor Contact Form
- Student Information Form (.pdf)
- MESA Advisor Status Update Form - Please complete at least once a semester
- Sample Club Constitution - For use in establishing your club (.doc)
General Advisor Resources
- MESA Day - View all general resources relating to our competitions at the MESA Day page.
- Advisor Handbook - A short guide to help your MESA club
- STEM Education Resources - Visit this page to download STEM learning tools and graphic organizers.
- Social Media
- Tools for Geospatial Mapping
- StartNow Curriculum - Visit Start Now! for tools to grow your school's college-going culture.
- Listservs - Please make sure you are receiving regular emails from both our state and southern region listservs. If you are not, check your settings to see if these are being directed to junkmail - and let us know!
Supporting a College Going Culture
- Build a Better MESA Student (.pdf)
- College Cost of Attendance and Calculating Financial need - The University of Arizona's tool to determine costs for college
- FAFSA4Caster - The FAFSA4Caster will tell you how much money is available to you from the Federal Government
- Letting Youth Be the Experts; Building a College Going Culture- a report from Los Angeles County with a lot of good ideas for classrooms and schools