MESA Sponsors, aka Advisors, are a lynchpin of the MESA program. Advisors are the primary facilitators at the school and our access point to students. The primary responsibilities of the advisors are to:
- Recruit 15 or more students to join MESA
- Hold weekly meetings
- Encourage and support college and STEM exposure
- Facilitate use of Engineering Design Process and Engineering Design Notebooks
- Share best practices with the MESA community
- Register students for competitions
- Incorporate college access monthly during meetings
- Have students fill out Student Information Form (SIF) and return them to MESA office
- Maintain communication with MESA office
MESA Advisor Training Institute (MATI) -The conference for MESA advisors from across the state to get together to learn about the competitions, share experiences and best practices, and make connections with peers, MESA staff, and Industry partners.
- September 9-10:
- Sept 9th - South Mountain Environmental Education Center
- Sept 10th - Grand Canyon University
Regional Design Days- Students teams from participating MESA schools are able to test their designs under the guidance of volunteers from our industry and university partners. This event provides students an opportunity to gather critical data about their designs performance and receive feedback from experts.
- Feb 4 - Southern Region Design Day @ The University of Arizona
- Feb 18 - Central Region Design Day @ Grand Canyon University
- School Registration Form
MESA Day - The culmination of MESA. Student teams from participating MESA schools test their designs against other schools from across Arizona. Industry and university partners provide judging and expertise. Medals are awarded for the top 3 finishers for each problem in both middle and high school and trophies for the top 3 middle and high schools.
- April 22 - MESA Day 2017 @ The University of Arizona
2016-2017 MESA Administrative Documents
- Memorandum of Understanding (.pdf) - Due September 1, 2016
- Advisor Contact Form - Due ASAP
- Student Information Form (.pdf) - Due by MESA Day
- MESA Advisor Status Update Form - Please complete at least once a semester
- Competition Supply Order From
General Advisor Resources
- MESA Day - View all general resources relating to our competitions at the MESA Day page.
- Advisor Handbook - A short guide to help your MESA club
- STEM Education Resources - Visit this page to download STEM learning tools and graphic organizers.
- Social Media
- Tools for Geospatial Mapping
- StartNow Curriculum - Visit Start Now! for tools to grow your school's college-going culture.
- Listservs - Please make sure you are receiving regular emails from both our state and southern region listservs. If you are not, check your settings to see if these are being directed to junkmail - and let us know!
Supporting a College Going Culture
- Build a Better MESA Student (.pdf)
- College Cost of Attendance and Calculating Financial need - The University of Arizona's tool to determine costs for college
- FAFSA4Caster - The FAFSA4Caster will tell you how much money is available to you from the Federal Government
- Letting Youth Be the Experts; Building a College Going Culture- a report from Los Angeles County with a lot of good ideas for classrooms and schools