Announcements and Updates
Advisors check below for critical news and updates from Arizona MESA. Each message has also been sent via email. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at 520.626.2300 or email@example.com. Don't forget to check out our calendar for upcoming events and our Facebook Page and Twitter Feed for resources, non-MESA events, and other STEM information.
MESA Updates and MESA Day Specification Release (sent 9-11-17)Click or enter to reveal information below
Thanks to everyone who was able to join us at MATI this past weekend. For those of you that were not able to attend here are some updates that were shared.
- Grand Canyon University is the new MESA Center supporting school in the Central Region! – Arizona MESA is working with GCU to finalize a partnership that establish GCU as the MESA center supporting MESA schools in Metro Phoenix and the surrounding areas. They will take the lead in providing expanded opportunities for growth, mentor recruit, and volunteer recruitment. Amanda Hughens will be your primary contact for regional questions when working with GCU and you can contact her at Amanda.Hughens@gcu.edu with any questions. More details will follow and the partnership is finalized.
- New Announcements and Updates page! – A new page has been placed on the Arizona MESA website that will list all important announcements that are sent via email. Visit the page at http://azmesa.arizona.edu/Updates.
- Remind App - MESA will continue to use the Remind messaging app to notify advisors about important information that is sent. To sign-up go text @mesalist to 81010.
- Advisors Facebook Group – there is a closed group on Facebook for Advisors to share information, resources, and teaching levity. If you are interested you can request to join by visiting Facebook.com/groups/AZMESAadvisors
- Student Information Form – This is the official enrollment for students. The complete, signed form must be submitted to MESA before student’s can participate in MESA events. This form provides us with important statistical information and serves as a photo and record release. It is ready and available for download on the Arizona MESA Site. It is also attached.
- Advisors Handbook – The Advisor’s Handbook has been updated and now includes a sample safety contract and sample club constitution and by-laws.
- MESA Day date change - Due to a lack of available facilities on April 28, we are looking at hosting MESA Day at GCU on April 21. We are currently working with GCU to confirm April 21 as the new date for MESA Day.
- MESA Day Specifications - Arizona MESA is happy to announce that the MESA Day page has been updated and that the specifications for this year’s challenges are ready to view. Please visit the MESA Day Page to see them. On this page you will find:
Design Challenge Specifications – these are the rules for this year’s challenges
Design Challenge Resources – under the rules are resources including lessons, activities, and videos to help you and your students
FAQ page – students that have questions about the specifications can submit questions to Arizona MESA via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by using the form on the website. Students should check the FAQ page first to see if the question has already been asked and answered.
Have a great week!
MESA Beginning of the year survey for Advisors (sent 9-11-17)Click or enter to reveal information below
Please take a minute to complete this survey to help us help you throughout the year.
University of Arizona Asian/Pacific Islander Cultural College Day Invitation (sent 8-29-17)Click or enter to reveal information below
You're invited to Asian/Pacific Islander Cultural College Day at the University of Arizona! Learn why being an Arizona Wildcat is an experience like no other - from world-class academics and research to a campus rich with history and tradition. Don't miss out!
Whether you're already committed to the UA or just looking, be sure to take advantage of Asian/Pacific Islander College Day. You'll have the opportunity to talk to current Asian/Pacific Islander students, staff, and faculty, who are happy to answer your questions.
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2017
Time: 9:30 AM to 3 PM
Location: University of Arizona
Environment & Natural Resources 2 (ENR2)
1064 E. Lowell St
Tucson, AZ 85721
If you have any questions, please contact Catalina Carlos at email@example.com or (520) 626-2321.
We hope to see you there!
MATI Schedule and Arduino Workshop Reg (sent 8-29-17)Click or enter to reveal information below
We are excited to see everyone next weekend for the MESA Advisor Training Institute (MATI). We have some exciting sessions planned that we feel you will be able to use not only for MESA but in your classes as well. Here is the MATI Schedule of sessions.
One session has limited capacity. We are partnering with Xerocraft, a makerspace here in Tucson, and the Pima College Engineering Club to host a 2 hour session on Arduino. If you are interested in attending this session, you will need to sign up using the link below. We ask that, if you commit to this session, you also commit to having a team attempt the MESA USA National Engineering Competition this year. We are limiting the session to the first 20 people to sign up. The link is:
If you have any questions, please email Bill Pike at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for all that you do for your students.
MATI Registration Deadline 8/30! (sent 8-22-17)Click or enter to reveal information below
Thanks to those that have registered for our MESA Advisors Training Institute on September 8 and 9. I just wanted to send a quick reminder that the deadline to register for MATI is Wednesday, August 30. That’s only 8 days away. We have an exciting two days of professional development planned. We hope that you will be able to join us. Reminder, at this event we will also release the MESA Day 2018 Specifications. Be there to be the first to know about this year’s design challenges. See the attached flyer and registration form for more information. You can also register on-line at http://azmesa.arizona.edu/MATI.
Overnight accommodations will be provided for advisors from outside of the Tucson Metro area at no cost to the school.
Also, if you have not already done so please complete your Advisor Contact Form - at http://azmesa.arizona.edu/mesa-advisor-contact-meeting-information
Welcome Back! MATI and MOU Information (sent 8-1-17)Click or enter to reveal information below
Welcome back! We hope that you all feel ready for the start of the school year and are as excited as we are to start MESA this year. We know this is a busy time, so we will make this email brief. Below we have listed some crucial information that is needed to start the year. Note: All of the information below is also available on our updated Advisor webpage at http://azmesa.arizona.edu/advisors. Please bookmark this site as a useful reference point.
One important update is that due to increasing costs of programming we are increasing our fees this year. We have not raised prices since we began this model in the 2014-2015 school year and we have tried to keep this increase as low as possible. This year we are also providing an Early Brid discount. Please see the MOU for more information.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) – Due September 8, 2017 for Early Bird pricing.
Please follow up with your administrator and submit the MOU (attached). This serves as your official school registration for MESA. If you are planning on attending MATI, payment will also be due by September 8. This document includes information on the new prices including the EARLY BIRD discount.
- MESA Advisors Training Institute @ UA - Registration due August 30, 2017
We have an exciting two days of professional development planned. We hope that you will be able to join us. Reminder, at this event we will also release the MESA Day 2018 Specifications. Be there to be the first to know about this year’s design challenges. See the attached flyer and registration form for more information. You can also register on-line at http://azmesa.arizona.edu/MATI. Overnight accommodations will be provided for advisors from outside of the Tucson Metro area. Registration must be received by August 30 to guarantee these accommodations.
- Advisor Contact Form - DUE ASAP. We need to update our records to ensure that we have the most current contact information for you.
Thanks and have a great week!